By Jaclyn Walian
Media relations and securing media coverage is a huge part of what we do at Olive. All of our clients hire us to pitch ideas and stories to our media contacts that illuminate what they are doing in order to secure top tier media placements. They understand that part of the process but where some education might come into play is what to do with a media hit once it comes out. How do they get the most out of it?
Securing a media hit is awesome and clients are always happy to see stories start to pop up in different outlets. A lot of the time, the media hit alone will definitely have an impact on website visits, ticket purchases or sales but there is a lot more you can do with a media hit then just let it sit on the outlet website or in the print version.
- Create a media page: You should have a press or media page on your website that gets updated with every media hit. Having media hits listed on your website provides validation to those browsing your website – it can also look very impressive! We are happy to provide recommendations on how this should look.
- Create a blog post: If you don’t have a blog on your website, you should get one. If you do, a media hit can make for a great blog post where you can explain in more detail what the media hit is and can link back to the outlet’s website. This can also help with your SEO.
- Post to social media: You should absolute post all media coverage to all of your social media pages. Always tag the media outlet and it is up to you if you want to link directly to the media hit or you can link to your blog post. Linking to your blog post guide viewers to your website where they then can browse the rest of your website or continue on to the full article.
- Ask media outlet to share on social media: Today, stories don’t go viral from the media hit –they go viral because they are shared on social media. We can work with the outlet and ask them to share the story on their social media. It benefits them because they want more eyes and visitors to their site so it never hurts to ask.
- Send out newsletters or email blasts: Include media hits with links in the next external and internal newsletter you send out. Employees love to see the company they work for getting outside recognition. Your stakeholders, customers and network want to know about it too!
- Create a physical book: If you have a waiting area or lobby, creating a physical book for people to browse through is beneficial. We will always send you scans of your media hits so all you need to do is print them out.
- Frame big stories: Did we secure your dream hit? Hello O, The Oprah Magazine! You better get that framed and on your wall.
Get in touch with us if you are ready to make the most of your next media hits (that we secure, of course).