By: Jennifer Borba von Stauffenberg
Staying motivated and inspired comes naturally most of the time, but even when you absolutely love what you do, you can fall into little slumps. Over the years, I have found several tricks to ensure I’m locked in and laser focused at the office to ensure I’m enjoying the best life ever.
- Work smarter, not harder. Life doesn’t have to be difficult. It is way cooler when you find the smartest, fastest, easiest way to complete a task.
- Working around the clock doesn’t make you more valuable, it makes you burnt out. I encourage my staff to get resourceful and come up with ways to get everything done during business hours. Evenings are for happy hours with friends, walks on the beach, swimming in the pool, and playing in the park; they are not meant for checking emails and feeling stressed. If you can pause for yourself, you will be so much more productive and creative during business hours.
- Treat yourself to a relaxation remedy. Whether it’s a massage, acupuncture, reiki, or Healing Touch, you will be grateful for investing in your health and wellness.
- Surround yourself with people who hold you to being the best version of yourself. Ditch that person who wants to gossip or focus on the negative. You are too important for that.
- Drink lots of water. It turns out most of us are dehydrated and it can do some tricky stuff to our ability to think clearly.
- Step out of the gym and enjoy the outdoors. Remember that exercising should not be a punishment. Get creative and choose workouts that fuel your soul while you fuel your body. I love to mix in a combo of bike rides around the San Diego Bay, morning swims, yoga or paddle boarding. Instead of a burden, it feels like extra fun.
- Stay nourished. This is a big one. For years, I would forget to eat and it took a toll on my metabolism, my state of mind, and my attitude. Find a nearby juicer or stock up on nuts and fruit at your local farmer’s market. If that doesn’t help, find a meal delivery service or even better, hire a chef.
- When you catch yourself feeling discouraged about something less than stellar that happened, enroll one of your friends in a glass half full conversation. Discuss everything that went right that day. Before you know it, your bummed out day will become a reason to break out the champagne.
- Celebrate. This is huge too. So many people are so focused on the future that they don’t celebrate today’s wins. There is so much to be grateful for.
- Create goals that make you feel a little weak in the knees. I need to constantly be reaching for the stars. If there isn’t something I’m nervous about, I am not aiming high enough.
- Take vacations. Book that flight. You will never regret seeing the world, but you might regret missing it.
- Listen to music that lifts you up. Create your power playlist and turn it up whenever you need a boost.
- You shouldn’t live to work. You should work to live. Make time for hobbies that fill you up.
At Olive PR Solutions, we are committed to a culture that supports us in living a balanced life. I hope this list is a nice reminder of what you can do to stay inspired while doing what you love.